Pages

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sweet Sampling

Barbara Carter Models Necklace
On Sunday afternoon, August 02, 2009, a fund-raiser was held in the home of my niece, Felicia B. Pollard, on Washington Street in Pontotoc, Mississippi. Billed as a “Sweet Sampling – a jewelry trunk show and reception,” it truly was.

Linda Thomas, who just a few months ago took up jewelry making as a hobby, was kind enough to donate the proceeds from the sale of jewelry items to help the local affiliate of Habit for Humanity. More than a dozen homemade sweet treats, provided by Glenda Corley, tempted the eye and pleased the palates of all who sampled them. Glenda also donated fifteen loaves of homemade bread, all of which were sold in the two hour period of the event.

Because, my wife, Barbara Carter is Director of the local Habitat affiliate, I was asked by her and my niece to photograph the occasion. It’s hard not to be conspicuous in a house full of women, but I did my best. I explained to several of the ladies that my reason for being there was to photograph the event, but I also welcomed the opportunity to give a man’s opinion on how a particular piece of jewelry looked on the wearer. Oddly, no one took my offer seriously.

Total receipts for the afternoon, including personal donations, totaled more than thirteen hundred fifty dollars. A second showing is being planned for the approaching Holiday Season.

If you’d care to view the photographs I took, click on this link, http://rrnews.org/Sweet_Sampling.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a native of Pontotoc, MS, and graduated Pontotoc High School in 1960. I received a BS degree in Mathematics from The University of Mississippi in 1965. My wife Barbara and I have two children and five grandchildren and two great grandchildren. We make our home in Pontotoc.