Pages

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Pontotoc Scarecrows

Sarah Palin models eyewear for Shannon Eye Clinic
According to a recent article in the Pontotoc Progress, Main Street Association director, Ellen Russell said of Pontotoc’s scarecrow initiative, “We wanted this project to get people out walking and enjoying the fall.”

The same article also cited similar community efforts in Sherman and Ecru.

Judging by the scarecrows scattered throughout downtown Pontotoc, I would say the project has been a rip-roaring success. I tallied forty-one pictures in a slideshow I made from photos I took this weekend.

Timing of the scarecrow project was great in that school children will be able to enjoy the scarecrows when they participate in the Harvest Parade held prior to Halloween, annually.

The scarecrows were constructed by local businesses and civic clubs. Instructions were provided by the Main Street Association to assure scarecrows could withstand the elements for a few weeks. Pierce Bird, a Mother Goose look-alike, and constructed by D.T. Cox Elementary, is made entirely of recyclable materials.

At the end of this article is a link to the scarecrow slideshow. I suppose everyone has a favorite scarecrow. The linemen scarecrows in front of the Pontotoc Electric Power Association are perhaps my favorites. Certain members of my family were swayed by a creation of the Town and Country Garden Club depicting a pair of stockinged legs protruding from a giant flower pot. However, all scarecrows on display are in contention for “best of show.” The overall winner is simply in the eye of the beholder.

See http://rrnews.org/scarecrow/index.html

The slideshow is best viewed full-screen with Internet Explorer - toggle the F11 key to turn full screen on or off.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a native of Pontotoc, MS, and graduated Pontotoc High School in 1960. I received a BS degree in Mathematics from The University of Mississippi in 1965. My wife Barbara and I have two children and five grandchildren and two great grandchildren. We make our home in Pontotoc.